lee's classroom

(another MPPS global2.vic.edu.au weblog)

| 0 comments

As we head towards the end of the year and the Christmas break I often get students coming up to me and in casual conversation asking, “Leeeee, do you like chocolate?” or “Leeeee, do you like wine?”

While I appreciate the subtlety with which they approach their assignment, I think I know what is behind the well crafted espionage.

As a teacher I neither expect nor want gifts at this time of year. That said I know some students and families want to show appreciation for a long and full year. If you do feel so inclined I ask that you instead look towards a donation.

I’m a subscriber to the Save the Children and know they have many avenues to contribute over the Christmas period. Their site, as with other charity sites, contains information about the projects they have which could provide a useful discussion starter for you and your child.

The Save the Children Little Helpers site has a  range of donation gifts which are aimed at creating better lives for children.

Another charity that is close to my family’s heart is Qhubeka which helps change lives in Africa. Through donating purpose built brand new bicycles Qhubeka creates easier access to education, healthcare and economic opportunity.

Again these are just recommendations, you or your family may have their own preferences. I do ask if you do donate please discuss it with your  child, it is never to early to develop global awareness and learn about some of the ways people and organisations are responding to various issues.