lee's classroom

(another MPPS global2.vic.edu.au weblog)

Support Your Child’s Spelling

Talk with them

Talk with them

Experimenting with new words through conversation supports your child’s language skills. Encourage them to use and write different words.

Talk about words

Talk about words

Talk about new and interesting words you come across in your own reading or conversations. Point out something interesting you notice such as words that start with the same letter/s, have the same letter patterns or other interesting features.

Play with word games

Play with word games

Either at home or when you are out and about talk about words and play word games.

talk about words

•  Play I Spy in the car or on the bus or train.
  •  Make up short sensible sentences using the letters of number plates you see (BEO = Bob eats oranges; CPP = cuddly puppies play).
  •  Read signs you see – for example, street and traffic signs.
  •  Find the words within words, now in unknown, or see how many words can be made from a word such as ‘together’ using only the letters in that word (he, get, greet, there, otter, other)
  •  Play What word am I? You think of a word, such as holiday, and write one letter in the right place on the message board (_ _ l _ _ _ _). Your child guesses what the word might be. You can add another letter after each incorrect guess until they guess the word.
  •  Play Word detective. Ask your child questions like Which word rhymes with boat? or What word is opposite to long?
  •  Play word association games: someone says a word and the next person says another word that is connected with it and so on. For example: beach, fish, chips, seagulls, Eagles, football, Dockers.
  •  Play Scrabble, Boggle or Pictionary.

Encourage them to write 

Encourage them to write

Encourage your child to write each day for different reasons (lunch order, notes, lists, diary, letters, emails or for fun). Read their writing and underline any words they are not sure about. Ask them to ‘have a go’ at spelling words before you tell them how.

Checklist

Checklist

Use this checklist to remind yourself of things to do to help your child have fun while learning spelling.

Use this checklist

• I often read to my child.
  • I talk to my child about words, letters and spelling.
  • I encourage my child to look for letters or words when we go out.
  • I play word games when we’re in the car/bus/train.
  • I value and display my child’s writing.
  • I encourage my child to ‘have a go’ at spelling new words.
  • I encourage my child to write for pleasure.
  • I ask my child to write for a special purpose.

Check Out Ten Tips for Better Spelling

Check Out Ten Tips for Better Spelling

Also worth a read is this ABC splash article How to Help Children With Spelling.

Checklist

Checklist

Checklist