lee's classroom

(another MPPS global2.vic.edu.au weblog)

6 Traits of Writing resources and references

Below I’ve listed, with a brief outline, some 6 Traits of Writing resources and references I’ve used over the last couple of years. Most of the links should still work.

To see how students use the traits when commenting on each others writing check out this blog postings:

http://josh2010.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/10/24/term-4-project-first-write/#comments

http://josh2010.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/09/23/our-family-pets/#comments

OWL (Online Writing Lab) is the main site I’ve used to introduce the traits to my students over the last couple of years. Within the pages on each trait is an activity button which allows students to explore for themselves and to develop their own understanding on each trait, great for groups who can then report back to their class mates.

K-2 Writing Rubrics – while it opens on the Voice rubric I feel the others (Word Choice, Ideas, Content, Organization, Sentence Fluency, Conventions) are more direct and applicable. Their rubric for older writers can be found here.

Strategies for Teaching the 6 Traits – is what it says, has some simple direct teaching moments around the various traits

Kim’s Korner – contains a wealth of information including Rubrics, Picture Books, Practice Papers, Teaching Suggestions, Posters, Information for Parents and Unit and Lesson Plans, Ideas, and Activities. They also have a Six Trait Handbook for Students which has a lot for students. Of particular interest are their descriptors for each trait which give students a reference for how writers develop each of the traits.

The Literate Learner – best parts of this site are the clear paragraphs explaining each trait

Official 6+1 Trait Writing Site – includes a 6+1 Assessment

Six Trait Writing at Web English Teacher  and The WritingFix both have many more links to 6 Traits pages

And for fun:

Six Traits of Writing for Stick People (on youtube) – you’ll need to download this youtube video at home if you want to play it in class (page also contains links to other videos (if you don’t know how I can show you)

The Idea Development SongThe Organization SongThe Voice SongThe Conventions Song

s I’ve used over the last couple of years. Most of the links should still work.

And for fun: